If you're new to art, interested in taking classes but unsure of your direction, or returning to art after a long absence, the Continuing Education (CE) Core Curriculum Program is for you. Designed to help you achieve your artistic goals, the program provides a structured curriculum of regular CE classes in logical sequence to build your basic skills and the confidence necessary to move forward in any artistic direction.
Benefits of the CE Core Curriculum
- A solid grounding in PAFA's four major disciplines: Introductory courses in drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking allow students to explore a range of techniques; second-level courses and electives help students refine their skills find a focus to their interests.
- Individually tailored assistance in course selection: Call the CE office for course recommendations to best fit your needs, or choose from the selections highlighted on our website and in the course catalogs.
- Helpful guidance and feedback on your progress from the CE Director and faculty: Enrolling in Core Curriculum classes for credit means that students receive additional attention and assessments of their work in the classroom. Core Curriculum students are also welcome to make an appointment with the CE Program Director at any point during their progress for a portfolio review for additional guidance.
- A flexible timeframe: Complete the requirements at your own pace, with no time limit. Previously taken courses may be transferable.
- A formal critique with the Program Director and select faculty to mark the conclusion of the program: Receive feedback on your work and progress as well as helpful insights for future development. A certificate of completion is presented by the Continuing Education Programs Director to commemorate your achievement.
We have designed this core curriculum to give you a solid grounding in the four fine arts disciplines: drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking. Complete the program with eight courses, including two electives. Taking additional electives is encouraged to assist you in working toward a focused goal. Courses must be taken for credit to merit a grade and better gauge your progress. For added flexibility, approved workshops may be combined to meet course requirements.
To register for the Core Curriculum Program, complete our online or mail-in registration form and be sure to check the box indicating "I wish to enroll in the CE Core Curriculum Program." Courses must be taken for credit to apply. Call the CE office at 215-972-7632 for assistance in course selection, or review our recommendations below.
Elective Courses (2)
- A more advanced drawing or painting class
- Any second course in sculpture or printmaking
Please call the Continuing Education office at 215-972-7632 and make an appointment to discuss what the Core Curriculum Program can do for you!